Hi Everyone- I am so excited to share this quick and healthy meal for you. My husband is from a huge Italian family and this is one of the recipe’s given to me when we married. Although it is called wedding soup, I think the holidays are the perfect time to make this quick and delicious meal. With celebrations in full swing, my family has so many activities right now. We are in and out many different times throughout the day. I keep a big pot of this soup on the stove ready to serve as we come and go. It makes me feel good knowing I’ve given my family a warm, healthy meal and I love that this soup has been shared in my family for generations.
Unlike most traditional wedding soups, this one has a tomato base. The colors work perfectly for the Christmas holiday. Also, the addition of Barilla Tortellini Three Cheese definitely makes this a complete, hardy meal. Barilla also has a promotion happening right now that saves you $.75 off the purchase of ONE (1) package of Barilla® Tortellini.
- 1 12 ounce bag Barilla Tortellini Three Cheese (I bought mine at Vons)
- 1 tablespoons – olive oil
- 1/2 cup – onion, chopped
- 2 cloves – garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoons – dried oregano
- 1 28 ounce cans – diced tomatoes, with juices
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups frozen (defrost before adding to soup) or fresh meatballs fully cooked
- 4 cups – fresh baby spinach, loosely packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- grated or shaved parmesan, for serving
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions to the pan and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Mix in oregano, diced tomatoes, salt, pepper and broth to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil. Add Barilla Tortellini Three Cheese to the pot and cook for 8 minutes.
Add meatball and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Stir in the spinach leaves.
Remove from heat.
– See more at: http://dishdish.us/recipe/tortellini-soup/#sthash.gRZ9cO1k.dpuf. For more amazing recipes, visit Barilla on Faceboook. Have a yummy day- one week until Christmas!